[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] how to attach note to a copy as it goes out with override?

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Fri Aug 14 23:55:16 EDT 2009

> We have a situation where we want to attach a free-text note to a copy
> (really to a check-out transaction, but the copy will suffice) when  the
> staff is needing to override a checkout block (in our particular case,
> because they're checking out a reference book), such that that note will be
> seen at the time the item is checked in.

Seems like it should also be easy for such a message to self-destruct
after the first check-in?  In that case, I'd be hesitant to use the
alert message field for this, since you may have to share that field
with other alert information.  It might be worth creating an alert
"flag" on item notes as alternate mechanism for having alerts, and
then add a "self-destruct" flag as well.  This would keep multiple
alerts separate.

> My first thought is that I'd like to add to the "Override Checkout Failure"
> dialogue box, right below the No/Yes buttons, a text entry box for the
> "Alert Message" for the copy.

I could see it done that way.  I think some libraries that use shared
staff logins may also like a field for entering staff initials with
that dialog.

> Has anyone already done this?

I don't think so.

> Or is there some other way to accomplish this goal?

Hiring a developer or convincing them to implement it in their
spare/community time is probably what you need.

What sort of messages would you be entering into the textbox?  Is it
more important to know that the item had been checked out with any
override, or would you be conveying extra information with the alert?

--
Jason Etheridge