[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds for ILLs on Template bib records

Sharp, Chris csharp at georgialibraries.org
Thu Aug 20 06:36:55 EDT 2009

Hi Marlene,

> We are trying to place Title holds, and they are for the same org unit
> owning the item (we do have branches). We were aware that the
> "targeter" was on a 15 minute delay, but the delay in finding the item
> is much more than that, sometimes a day or two days

The targeter program sometimes takes much longer than every 15 minutes.  The script looks to see if the targeter is already running (by checking for the existence of the /tmp/hold_targeter-LOCK file), and if the lockfile is present, it checks again 15 minutes later.  In PINES, depending on the volume of holds placed, this can take hours rather than the expected 15 minutes.

> My current test
> is a title hold placed 2009-08-17T13:16:30-0400, which didn't show up
> on the pull holds list until this morning 8-19-09. It currently has a
> "previous check time" of
> 2009-08-19T14:15:14-0400. I'm not sure what that means (if that's
> really when the targeter checked for it last)....

As far as I understand things, the "previous check time" (prev_check_time field in action.hold_request at the database level) IS in fact the last time the hold targeter searched for a candidate for that hold.

> but I don't know how
> to determine when the targeter FIRST found the item for the hold. Is
> there a field for that that's visible by the client?

At the database level, this is capture_time within the action.hold_request table.  It's visible from within a patron account as "Capture Date" with a timestamp option from the column picker.  Also, when the targeter finds an item, that item stays targeted until it is captured or changed to a non-holdable status - only then does it start looking for another candidate for the hold.

Hope this is helpful - if someone sees any errors in my understanding, please feel free to correct me.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Sharp
PINES Program Manager