[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds for ILLs on Template bib records

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 10:10:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Sharp,
Chris<csharp at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
> Hi Marlene,
>
>> We are trying to place Title holds, and they are for the same org unit
>> owning the item (we do have branches). We were aware that the
>> "targeter" was on a 15 minute delay, but the delay in finding the item
>> is much more than that, sometimes a day or two days
>
> The targeter program sometimes takes much longer than every 15 minutes.  The script looks to see if the targeter is already running (by checking for the existence of the /tmp/hold_targeter-LOCK file), and if the lockfile is present, it checks again 15 minutes later.  In PINES, depending on the volume of holds placed, this can take hours rather than the expected 15 minutes.

The 15 minute time (well, strictly speaking, the configured
re-targeting run time) is just for re-targeting after the targeting
interval has expired.  Initial targeting occurs when the hold is
placed, so something else is going on here.

I suspect that this is another side-effect of the intermittent ingest
issue that has shown up recently.  If the record fails to ingest
properly then some required data (extracted from the fixed fields, and
used to determine the record type) won't be there and can cause the
targeting to exit early.  There is a more aggressive workaround than
the hourly cleanup (Marlene, this has been proposed to your
consortium, in fact) that we believe will address this until we have
completely pinned down the root cause of this intermittent issue.

--
Mike Rylander