[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Two questions related to a consortium running Evergreen

Bill Ott bott at grpl.org
Fri Aug 28 09:36:48 EDT 2009

John Clark said the following on 08/28/2009 09:10 AM:
> Good day,
>
> We are in the process of setting up a consortium here in Maine and the
> following questions were posed by a member library. I would be most
> appreciative of any answers from those further along in the process.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> John Clark
>

> 1.  Can you set a cards expiration date or does it automatically renew
> to a preset date?

Each patron type has a default expiration duration (e.g. 3 years), but
you can always set it to a specific date instead.

> 2.  After patron types are set up can individual libraries customize
> those types differently. (can two libraries use the same patron type
> with different conditions/parameters mapped to that specific library)

Depends on exactly what you mean by customizing the types.  If you're
thinking circ rule behavior, then certainly.  For instance, you can
create rules that apply based on the patron's home library or the
circulating library of the materials.

Having said that, you can also create a good deal of confusion, when the
same type means different things to different people.  So it depends on
how your consortium operates as to whether or not you'd want to do so.