[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] An introduction and a question

kate sheehan ksheehan at biblio.org
Thu Dec 3 13:01:36 EST 2009

Hi all,
I've been lurking on this list and soaking up the Evergreen goodness. I've recently joined Bibliomation's open source team and I'm thrilled to bits by Evergreen - I can't wait to get our first libraries up and running.

We're converting a library that doesn't have an ILS (or a bathroom!) and they have an interesting twist on teacher cards and class visits:

Classes from a nearby school visit several times a year. The library makes a list of the students in the class and the books they checked out during the visit. The library provides the teachers with the list of which books their students have checked out.

A teacher card isn't a great solution for them - they want to check the books out to the students, not the teacher. they only want to provide the teacher with the books checked out by the students during their class visit. So, if a student checks a book out during a class visit and then comes back that evening with her parents to check a book out, the only book the teacher should have on the list provided by the library is the one from the class visit.

So far, the best solution we can come up with is to assign a statistical category to the students for each teacher and create a report that pulls every student in the class and lists what they checked out on a particular day during a particular time period.

We're trying to avoid:
-giving the teachers lists of everything their students have out.
-creating two cards for each student.
-manual creation of these lists.

We'd appreciate any insight anyone has to offer on this issue.
Thanks so much and I look forward to meeting many of you in Grand Rapids!

Cheers,
Kate

Kate Sheehan
Open Source Implementation Coordinator