[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] importing batch authority records

Chris Caughey CCaughey at jessup.edu
Fri Dec 4 13:39:15 EST 2009

Hi Jason and Repke,

I don't know if this will mean anything to either of you (or anyone else
who reads this).  I'm including the text of an email our former IT
support staff sent to the developers' listserv.

Hi all.  I'm running into an error when importing authority records
using the staff client, on EG 1.4.0.6.  Any light you can shed on this
situation would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if our database has an incorrectly defined arn_value column
in the authority.record_entry table, or if the authority record import
routine is expecting some additional data in the authority record source
files being imported.  It might be helpful to mention that there is only
a single row listed in the staff client under "edit attributes" for
authority records.

The specific error message we're getting is in the Postgres log:

2009-11-16 08:40:27 PST ERROR:  null value in column "arn_value"
violates not-null constraint

This error occurs during the import when an INSERT like this is
attempted:

INSERT INTO
authority.record_entry(active,arn_source,arn_value,create_date,creator,d
eleted,edit_date,editor,id,last_xact_id,marc,source) VALUES
(DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,'now',273,DEFAULT,'now',273,DEFAULT,'1258389633
.68917736.624751580546','<record
xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim"
xmlns:marc="http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/MARC21/slim http://www.loc.gov/
standards/marcxml/schema/MARC21slim.xsd"><leader>00271nz  2200109n
4500</leader><controlfield
tag="001">CF978D7BD44046289250AD35A267DC97</controlfield><controlfield
tag="003">SJCC</controlfield><controlfield
tag="005">20010515160026.0</controlfield><controlfield tag="008">010515
n anannbabn           a ana     d</controlfield><datafield tag="040"
ind1=" " ind2=" "><subfield code="a">SJCC</subfield><subfield
code="c">SJCC</subfield></datafield><datafield tag="150" ind1=" " ind2="
"><subfield code="a">Russian Orthodox
Church.</subfield></datafield><datafield tag="550" ind1=" " ind2="
"><subfield code="a">Christian

Executing describe on the authority.record_entry table reveals:

Column    |           Type           |
Modifiers
--------------+--------------------------+------------------------------
---------------------------------------
 id           | bigint                   | not null default
nextval('authority.record_entry_id_seq'::regclass)
 arn_source   | text                     | not null default
'AUTOGEN'::text
 arn_value    | text                     | not null
 creator      | integer                  | not null default 1
 editor       | integer                  | not null default 1
 create_date  | timestamp with time zone | not null default now()
 edit_date    | timestamp with time zone | not null default now()
 active       | boolean                  | not null default true
 deleted      | boolean                  | not null default false
 source       | integer                  |
 marc         | text                     | not null
 last_xact_id | text                     | not null

Message: 5