[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Item status screen- menu choices

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Thu Dec 10 13:25:21 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Coleman, Marlene <mcoleman at bcgov.net> wrote:
> While we're making wishes for the new year....how much development would
> be required to add "View holds" as an option on the menu for the Item
> Status function.  Or is this a problem, as holds are generally related
> to records not items?

Would you rather have more direct actions like Cancel Hold and
Re-Target Hold if you know the item in hand has been captured for a
hold already?  I don't think those would be too thorny to implement.
More than an hour of work, less than a week? (the dark arts of
estimation of work :)  Even easier if we put them in the Item Details
interface where we're already fetching hold data.

Jumping straight to the View Holds interface in a new tab is also
possible, but feels kludgy, and so would having the correct barcode
already be selected in the interface for subsequent actions.

Related topic:

On making wishes... For reference, the community's current feature
request procedure is here:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_feature_request_procedures

Do we need to tweak this at all?  Should we be tracking these feature
requests in Launchpad or the wiki?  I think it'd be useful to see
whether a given request is being picked up by sponsored development
from some Evergreen stakeholder (and when on the roadmap it is set to
be delivered), or whether it is waiting in limbo for volunteer
development, sponsored development, more discussion, etc.

When I throw out my own wishes (It'd be nice to have...), I'm hoping
to give folks an itch, shake some resources loose, etc., but I'm not
really playing the role of a feature advocate/champion, where I'll do
all I can to make the feature happen.

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please come by and visit the Equinox team
and learn more about Evergreen
ALA MidWinter
January 15-18, 2010
booth # 2064