[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] VirtualBox Image and host Networking

Eric Maynard elmaynard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 13:56:12 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I am using the latest (3.x) version of VirtualBox on a Vista desktop.  I
have downloaded the 1.4.0.4 Debian based VirtualBox image from Dan Scott and
I am following the directions on the referenced wiki page.

I was hoping to connect from a Staff Client on my Vista (host PC) to the
Evergreen installation in the VB image.  The "sudo dhclient eth1" command
works fine and gets me out on the net from the image and I can ping my
HostPC.

The problem is I am not sure what settings VB3.x should be configured with
order to make this happen.  I've tried both Host-only and NAT, but neither
seems to get me an external IP address off my host PC's DHCP server.  I keep
getting a 10.0.2.x address which is not my local network setup and as a
result my Staff Client and/or the OPAC are not able to reach the services
running on the image.

Anyone know if the Debian image is performing some kind of NAT on it's own
(showing my weak *nix Networking Ninja training) or any other reason why I
would keep getting a 10.0 address when I am expecting a 192.168 address?

Any nudges in the direction to make this work both ways between VirtualBox
image and the Host PC would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Eric Maynard

--
Ohio libraries are in jeopardy. Please contact the governor and  legislators
to let them know what your library means to you Find out how you can help,