[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] call number records

Paul Waak ptwaak at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 11:46:20 EDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 7:23 PM, Paul Weiss <pweiss at eou.edu> wrote:
> Have you all found value in the bib > call number > copy hierarchy?
> I'm not suggesting a system redesign (although I wouldn't impede
> that :-) ), I just wanted to get a sense of how other libraries deal
> with it.

The name "call number" is an obstacle here as well.  I would not
redesign the system, but I am very open to renaming this element.  I
have seen "volume" elsewhere, but that gets confused with multi-volume
encyclopedias, etc.  "Holdings" seems the most promising to me.

> So I now have a pretty good idea of what the 2 fields were designed
> for, and presumably how they continue to be used in PINES. How do
> the rest of you all use them? Are they always the same for you? Or
> do you use them as designed? Or for some other purpose?
>
> We don't generally view housing and ownership as different. We do
> though often use the same call number across many members. I'm
> trying to decide if it makes sense just to put the same org unit in
> both fields, which would require multiple call number records with
> the same call number but different org units, or just put the
> consortium as the owner of the call number record so that we only
> need 1 call number record per call number. Any advice?

It is useful when for systems within a consortium. We have a
consortium in Texas that is not on evergreen, but illustrates this
nicely. Fort Worth is a system that owns its items at the system level
but houses them at specific branches. Haltom City, a peer library in
the consortium, has only one location and uses the same org unit for
both ownership and location. In this consortium, ownership is a level
2 property in the org unit hierarchy, and housing becomes distinct for
org units at levels 3 and lower.

This separation also simplifies rotating collections.

Paul Waak
pwaak at yahoo.com