[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hierarchy with call-vol-copy

Coleman, Marlene mcoleman at bcgov.net
Fri Jun 19 11:47:39 EDT 2009

In a public library setting the call #s in a consortium can be pulled from the bib record, but then edited by the individual system. Call #s are specific to an organization, and I think the term is straight forward, it's a designation for shelving, more specific than the copy location. We do need volumes and copies. Though holds are generally placed on titles, for multi-part sets e.g. DVD TV series, or encyclopedias, which are circulated in parts, holds can be put on the individual part (of call numbers) specific to that part.  There can also be multiple copies the individual part/call #.

Owning vs circulating library is another thing, since we've just migrated, we're still trying to understand that one.

Hope the above was actually feedback to the question asked.

Marlene

Marlene F. Coleman, BA, MLS, CIM
Branch Manager, ILS Database Manager
Beaufort County Library, Beaufort Branch
311 Scott Street, Beaufort, SC 29902
843-470-6544    mcoleman at bcgov.net
www.beaufortcountylibrary.org
For Learning ♦ For Leisure ♦ For Life