[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Z39.50 and UNICODE support

Tigran Zargaryan tigran at flib.sci.am
Thu May 7 01:52:35 EDT 2009

Hello Jason,
sending more details.
ArmUniCat Web-OPAC is accessible at:
http://www.armunicat.am:8991/ALEPH
Sign-in by pressing 'Guest'
ArmUniCat is based on Aleph system of ExLibris.
Type Zargaryan in a search filed, select 'Author' as a search field.
Now you can open record #8 (ISBN = 99930-4-053-3
<javascript:open_window("http://www.armunicat.am:8991/F/7S5L5K7BBGC9FCILSEVXRAHDINQL4CINQ2HDV15IX1S42E3R38-00049?func=service&doc_number=000012716&line_number=0006&service_type=TAG");>
) which is in Armenian, and record #2 (ISBN=99930-4-471-7
<javascript:open_window("http://www.armunicat.am:8991/F/7S5L5K7BBGC9FCILSEVXRAHDINQL4CINQ2HDV15IX1S42E3R38-00037?func=service&doc_number=000469294&line_number=0006&service_type=TAG");>)
which is in Russian.
1. To access ArmUniCat Z39 server you need this configuration
Host: netlib.lib.ysu.am
Port:9991
Db: ALC01
2. In our Evergreen system we are using the configuration which is attached.
Some more details, which could be helpful
3. When I am activating 'Import Record from Z39.50' the first message
from the system is 'ReferenceError: my_init is not defined'. I am
pressing 'OK' and 'MARC Import via Z39.50' is activated.
4. Typing Zargaryan as an Author is resulting to the list - see jpeg1.
TCN numbers are equal to the System Numbers  for Aleph search in ArmUniCat.
5. When I am pressing on MARC View button, then Evergreen is sending a
message 'Unhandled Error. FIXME: ... Failure during MARC view'. See
jpeg4. Debug is attached.
6. Of 20 results retrieved from ArmUniCat only one is in English and is
displayed in the 'Results' screen in a nromal way. All other 19 records
are in Armenian or Russian, so no any Author/Title are displayed.
7. When I am pressing 'MARC Editor for Import' then only the record with
TCN=000560309' (whichis in English) is displayed in a normal way, and
imported to the Evergreen catalog normally (see jpeg2).
8.When i am importing to the Evergreen catalog any non-Lati records then
title/author etc fields are blank. Only numeric values are imported. See
jpeg3.
Were is the mistake? Something wrong with my own Z39.50 configuration?
thanks,
Tigran

Jason Etheridge wrote:
>> When downloading my book (using ISBN) from the Library of Congress and
>> ArmUniCat, then in the 'Results' window LoC record is displayed in a normal
>> way (cataloging is done using Latin script), but for the record from
>> ArmUniCat Author and title fields are blank (cataloging is done in
>> Armenian). See Z39.50-3.jpg file.
>>

> Hi Tigran,
>
> Are there any other z-sources you can try for the non-latin records
> for comparison?  Is ArmUniCat a free/public service we could try
> ourselves?  Could you share the configuration information for it?
> Does it have a web catalog as well?
>
> Also, could you show us what the MARC View button from the Z39.50
> interface shows for the problem record?  One of the screenshots shows
> a Results View button when I would expect it to be a MARC View button
> at that point in time, so I wonder if there's an incidental bug
> happening too.

Dr. Tigran Zargaryan
Director
Fundamental Scientific Library