[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Newsletter, May 2009

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon May 18 14:33:46 EDT 2009

Evergreen Newsletter

*The newsletter for Evergreen open source library software **http://
evergreen-ils.org*

*Evergreen International Conference May 20-22, 2009
*

*Conference registration: http://www.lyrasis.org/evergreen*

* <http://solinet.net/evergreen>*

*Conference wiki: http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=eg09:main*

* *

Volume 2, Issue 5 -- May, 2009

As a reminder, we will also post this newsletter to the Evergreen general
discussion list (see all Evergreen lists at http://evergreen
-ils.org/listserv.php) and to the Evergreen blog (http://evergreen
-ils.org/blog). Cross-posting and forwarding is encouraged.

 In Just Two Days, Trees Dance in the Forest

Or at least, the first-ever Evergreen International Conference will commence
in Athens, Georgia (May 20-22, 2009). More below!
 In This Issue… Evergreen Out and About, Evergreen Conference Preview,
Lyrasis Evergreen Classes, PINES Survey Results, Planet Evergreen, New
Evergreen Libraries, Newsletter Administrivia
 Out and About: An Evergreen Calendar There now really is such a thing as an
Evergreen Calendar! See it here:

http://evergreen-ils.org/calendar

If you have Evergreen-related events to add (talks, conferences, etc.), just
email events at evergreen-ils.org.

 *Evergreen International Conference *(Athens, Georgia, May 20 – 22, 2009).
Our first conference! Joe Lucia and Jessamyn West will be keynoting! See
more about this exciting event below.

*American Library Association* Annual Conference (Chicago, Illinois, July
9-15). We'll be exhibiting, meeting with people, and so forth!

*WilsWorld* (Madison, Wisconsin, July 28-29). Karen Schneider to do a
plenary session and a couple other spots. Karen spoke at one of the earliest
WilsWorld conferences and is excited to return!

*Past Conferences*: A big thank you to Sharon Herbert and all the other
folks in British Columbia. Karen Schneider of Equinox gave a talk about open
source and creativity that was well-attended. The informal chats with
Evergreeners and fellow travelers were wonderful too. Also a shout-out to
Indiana where Karen did a development update at their regional Evergreen
conference.

*PINES Users Heart Evergreen*

Georgia PINES, the first statewide consortium powered by Evergreen open
source library software, has achieved the highest-ever user satisfaction
ratings in the five-year history of its annual survey. Based on the 2009
survey, 19 out of 20 respondents (95.6 percent) would recommend the
Evergreen-powered PINES system to friends.

(Source: Equinox press release, http://esilibrary.com/esi/newsitem.php?id=96)
 <jbielewski at solinet.net> Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22,
2009 *We're almost there! *This conference (social tag *eg09*) will bring
together close to 150 Evergreen users, Evergreen advocates, people
evaluating Evergreen or in the market for a new ILS, open source advocates,
etc.! There's still a little space -- you can register at
http://www.lyrasis.org/evergreen* <http://www.solinet.net/evergreen>

*Also see the growing conference wiki where you can sign up for rides,
dine-arounds, table talks, and more (there will also be paper signup forms
at the conference):

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=eg09:main*

Questions?  Email events at evergreen-ils.org
*

By now, if you're attending, you know many of the specifics of the
conference -- the programs, keynotes, Birds of a Feather, table talks,
dine-arounds, lightning talks, and so forth. Here is some information
gleaned from our pre-conference survey and other sources:

*1*. At least half of all attendees report that they will be *blogging,
tweeting, Flickring, emailing*, or otherwise reporting on the conference.

*2*. Six of the sessions, plus the lightning talks and keynotes, will be *
videotaped*, and these tapes will be later uploaded to the web. *
*

*3. *At least ten attendees are *vegetarians, *about a dozen
are*international, and
*8 had questions for the *keynote speakers.  *

*4.* The top question for the committee was *"how do we get from the Atlanta
airport to Athens?" *(The answer, on the wiki, is to take a shuttle or share
a ride. The wiki also has a *ride board*.)

*5.* *Hackfest *turnout has been outstanding. Over 30 people are signed up
for *Sysadmin Survival Skills*. Close to 20 people will gather to discuss
documentation. A dozen people have signed up for half-hour *Meet with a
Developer sessions*. And there are a good dozen folks who want to just *get
together and code*!

7. In keeping with an early goal to keep the conference "Ever-GREEN," there
will be *SWAG bags *(donated by Equinox) which you can proudly use later on
for your groceries, while the (very slick-looking) *SWAG mugs*, donated by
Nelinet, will help us all reduce waste.

 *7. *Speaking of sponsors, let this be the first but hardly the last time
we *thank our conference sponsors! Gold sponsors: *Ebsco/Novelist, Unique
Management, Equinox Software, and STAT.* Silver sponsors: *BWI, ITG, 3M,
Envisionware, Brodart, Lyrasis, Nelinet, and Georgia Public Library Service.
* Thank you!*

*8. Import all the Evergreen conference events into your calendar from
http://evergreen-ils.org/calendar
*

 The 2009 Evergreen Conference is jointly coordinated by Georgia Public
Library Service, Equinox Software, and Lyrasis. Also, special thanks to
Karen Collier at Kent County Library, Maryland, for participating in the
program review process.
Lyrasis Rolls Out More Evergreen Training Classes

**

Evergreen classes are being offered online by Lyrasis (nee Solinet) on the
following dates and times:

May 27th Evergreen Guided Tour and Demo (Free).

June 4th Evergreen Admin and Stats Module. Two hour course, 10:00am-12:00pm

Since October, Lyrasis, formerly known as SOLINET and PALINET, has taught
close to 25 Evergreen classes with over 100 students! Lyrasis is dedicated
to training and instructing Evergreen and welcomes your comments and
suggestions for courses. All of our current course offerings are
continuously updated and we plan on adding more courses to our catalog on
future topics. Feel free to contact Lyrasis Instructors at
Jennifer.bielewski at lyrasis.org or Jenny.Liberatore at lyrasis.org for comments
or questions about Evergreen courses. We will be at the Evergreen Conference
in Athens, GA and are excited to meet those of you attending!
Planet EvergreenCan't get enough news about Evergreen open source software?
Subscribe to (or just read) Planet Evergreen, an aggregator for
Evergreen-related
posts, at http://planet.evergreen-ils.org . Have a blog that talks about
Evergreen? To add your blog (or blog subset) to the Planet Evergreen blog
aggregator, send email to Dan Scott at dan at coffeecode.net

 * *
 Evergreen on Facebook

Evergreen has a growing Facebook group at the not-so-mnemonic address of
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6396639614 . We are now posting events
to this group, such as the Evergreen conference and the ALA Midwinter
get-together, as well as press releases for new Evergreen libraries and
systems and other related news. The group now has over 280 members. If
you're on Facebook, join our group. If you aren't on Facebook and you don't
think you're the Facebook "type," give it a try. You might be surprised by
who's on Facebook!
 A Few Reminders

*Webinars and videos*: Don't forget the section on the Evergreen wiki devoted
to community-contributed documentation and
tutorials<http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=community_tutorials>.

Evergreen also has a Flickr set: http://flickr.com/photos/evergreen-ils/
New Evergreen Libraries: Welcome Aboard!

Also see the growing list of Evergreen libraries at:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen_libraries

 ** *Evergreen Indiana:

*Greenwood Public Library

*Michigan Evergreen:*

Laingsburg Public Library

If you'd like to follow along as libraries join the Evergreen community, you
can subscribe to the Equinox press release feed, which will announce most
known Evergreen implementations (or follow the Facebook group mentioned
above). The Equinox press release feed
<http://esilibrary.com/esi/news.rss>was recently tweaked to make it
easier to track and share the releases.
*Newsletter Administrivia *

Feel free to forward, share, etc.!

The deadline for the Evergreen newsletter is the last working day before the
first of the month… feel free to submit items earlier. The co-wranglers for
this newsletter are Karen Schneider, Equinox Community Librarian and John
Fink, Digital Technologies Development librarian at McMaster University.