[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] General Questions

Thomas Sycko tsycko at tswarren.com
Mon May 18 18:15:15 EDT 2009

Hi, All,

I'm kind of a novice here myself, but here is my understanding of the
answers to Chris's questions.  Please let me know if I am mistaken:

1.) Overkill, maybe.  But bigger is better, right?
2.) Can run on a virtual machine; in fact, there a VBox image available.
But not a great idea for production?
3.) Maybe could be done with a script, but not ideal as there would be
considerable bibliographic data missing, right? Importing some sort of
retrospective conversion file (from Mitinet, MARCive, etc.) might be a
better choice?
4.) Checkout Ubuntu.com -- LOTS of information.  The Evergreen setup process
is not exactly great for a novice -- not everything is available from a
single repository and not installable via APT-GET, etc.  So no graphical
installation?

Anyhow, I hope this helps Chris and gives others a chance to give more
accurate information if it's out there.

Thanks, all!
--Tom