[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] gapines.org and mobile devices

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:47:46 EDT 2009

2009/5/19 Andrew Tillman <tillman at leecountylibrary.org>:
> What mobile devices does GAPINES.ORG work well on?\

Funny, I blogged a little about this last month at
http://coffeecode.net/archives/189-Evergreen-iPhone-application-Unnecessary!.html

It (by which I mean the Evergreen whiz-bang dynamic public catalogue
with all the bells and whistles) works well on the following devices
that I have personally tested:

  * the HTC Touch (Windows Mobile smartphone) using the Opera Mobile browser
  * the iPod Touch
  * the Nokia N810 PDA

> Is there any plan on
> developing the PINES website to be compatible with most mobile internet
> devices (iPhone, cell phone, PDA, etc)?

There's no formal plan that I'm aware of, but as devices like the iPod
Touch / iPhone become the norm for mobile devices, I would argue that
differentiating Web experiences to cater to mobile devices makes less
and less sense over time.

That being said, there is a basic catalogue, a.k.a. the SlimPAC, that
drops all of the JavaScript and enables a subset of features in a very
small amount of bandwidth that should work on pretty much any
HTML-capable device. The subset of features is search and retrieval of
items and item availability -- good when you're wandering through
stacks or wondering whether a copy of a given title is available at
your library -- but more advanced features like placing holds,
checking your account status, modifying book bags, etc aren't
available in this interface.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University