[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about approaching Evergreengovernance

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Thu May 21 22:34:49 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Thomas Corbett <tcorbett at cwmars.org> wrote:

> Hi Karen,
>
> Speaking for the folks at the nearby "starting a users group" discussion
> table, we'd like to see a foundation developed first and then a User Group
> considered later -- if needed (depending on the role and success of the
> foundation).

This is at least a good kickoff discussion. :-) Did your table have some
insights to share into the organizational structure and roles of the
foundation? (Don't forget there are still lightning talk slots tomorrow
morning..!)

> One question: what kind of detail are you (speaking for the group at the
> table!) considering when you suggest an online spreadsheet listing
> acquisition "projects?"  For selfish reasons, it would be most helpful for
> us to have these projects described in as much detail as possible,
> preferably listing out specific software requirements.

The level of detail wasn't spec'd out in this discussion, but it would seem
desirable to have more than less detail, accompanied by prioritization. Just
tossing this out, what if initially each Evergreen project provided all of
its "required" requirements and then a set amount (10? 25?) of its "highly
desired" requirements?

> Also, without a foundation's "pool of money," independently financed
> projects will trump all others (not necessarily a bad thing) no matter what
> this informal group decides are the top priorities.  Nonetheless, I think
> such a pilot project would be worth pursuing.

Tom, that's a good point, though if such a list existed, it's possible the
money would follow. When there is collective prioritization, there is
finally something to collectively fund. It would not actually take a
foundation to be in place for projects to decide to jointly fund
development. It would be more cumbersome (and therefore prove the value of a
foundation) but unless I'm missing something it would not be unfeasible.