[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about approachingEvergreengovernance

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri May 22 10:37:18 EDT 2009

Quoting Deanna  Frazee <dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us>:

> I disagree that a foundation is needed.  A properly incorporated users
> group can serve the same purpose as the foundation, much as we did in
> CODI.  CODI held the source code for the various Dynix incarnations in
> escrow and handled collecting and prioritizing enhancement requests.  At
> the time I was on the board, we had 5 or 6 at-large members in addition
> to the standard officer positions.  Each at-large member was voted in by
> the membership to fill a specific purpose such as for their expertise in
> a particular module or to coordinate with the company on enhancements.

A users' group works well when there is a proprietary vendor.
However,in an open source project, with whom would this users' group
coordinate? You would end up needing an Evergreen Foundation anyway to
direct development and to coordinate with the users' group.

I am, of course, assuming a traditional users' group along the lines
of CODI (of which my employer is still a member) where the users
prioritize development goals and request feature enhancements. That
kind of arrangement doesn't work in open source unless there is
already some foundation setup with whom the users' group can coordinate.

However, if that users' group is composed of the people contributing
to the project with code, time, money, and other resources, then it
might work, but after a while it would likely need some corporate
structure in the form of a foundation.