[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about approachingEvergreengovernance

Deanna Frazee dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us
Fri May 22 11:22:47 EDT 2009

While I agree that the environment is different from dealing with a
proprietary vendor, it still seems to me that adding a foundation into
the mix is just adding an unnecessary layer.  Is there any reason that a
user group cannot be set up so that it directs development?

Deanna Frazee
Killeen City Library System
(254) 501-8995
(254) 501-7704 (fax)
dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us

Stephenson
> Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:37 AM
> To: Evergreen Discussion Group
> Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Interesting proposal about
> approachingEvergreengovernance
>
> Quoting Deanna  Frazee <dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us>:
>
> > I disagree that a foundation is needed.  A properly incorporated
users
> > group can serve the same purpose as the foundation, much as we did
in
> > CODI.  CODI held the source code for the various Dynix incarnations
in
> > escrow and handled collecting and prioritizing enhancement requests.
At

<tcorbett at cwmars.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi Karen,
> >
> > Speaking for the folks at the nearby "starting a users group"
discussion
> > table, we'd like to see a foundation developed first and then a User
> > Group considered later -- if needed (depending on the role and
success
> > of the foundation).
> >

> > This is at least a good kickoff discussion. :-) Did your table have
some
> > insights to share into the organizational structure and roles of the
> > foundation? (Don't forget there are still lightning talk slots
tomorrow
> > morning..!)
> >

> > 	One question: what kind of detail are you (speaking for the
> > group at the table!) considering when you suggest an online
spreadsheet
> > listing acquisition "projects?"  For selfish reasons, it would be
most
> > helpful for us to have these projects described in as much detail as
> > possible, preferably listing out specific software requirements.
> >

> > The level of detail wasn't spec'd out in this discussion, but it
would
> > seem desirable to have more than less detail, accompanied by
> > prioritization. Just tossing this out, what if initially each
Evergreen