[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Two Questions

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed Nov 25 08:46:59 EST 2009

Hi Joel,

What network ports are used by Evergreen? (So I know which ports to unblock.)
If you just want users to access the OPAC, I believe 80 (HTTP) and 443 (SSL) will do.

If you want to access the Evergreen database using a postgresql database admin program on your Windows machine, you'll need to open 5432. Also note that you many need to edit pg_hba.conf  located in your Postgresql configuration directory. This controls access to posgresql for users and locations. You should do some research on that file to find the right balance of access and security when editing this file.

To access my Linux server I installed Cygwin with the SSH client application. For this app you can start here: http://www.cygwin.com/. There are also some other applications for SSH access and you will need to install the SSH server on your linux machine if it is not already installed. I am using a regular linux server so I am not sure if there are better ways to access a VirtualBox image. Once you connect to your server via ssh, you can also access the database data and run SQL queries using psql. For more information on that, see: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-psql.html

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere
Systems Librarian
robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca<mailto:robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca>
Tel: 905-575-1212 X3936

Library at Mohawk
Connect * Learn * Succeed
brain.mohawkcollege.ca<http://brain.mohawkcollege.ca/>

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.