[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: SQL Repository?

Melissa Belvadi mbelvadi at upei.ca
Sat Oct 3 09:14:50 EDT 2009

I agree with Dan about it being pretty broad. But there might be some basic samples that we could share, to offer "best practices".
For instance, when crossing tables, there are two ways - to use "join" or two use explicit "ands" to connect the corresponding columns.
I've done it both ways but notice that when we get sql scripts from Equinox, they always use the "join" syntax, so I'm starting to switch.
Maybe the first thing to establish is whether the intent is to provide complex canned scripts for common functions run regularly, like Conifer's perl scripts, or shorter examples that help to demonstrate the relational structure of the tables for use in making quick one-off queries in something like pgadmin.
Amy, I'd be happy to send you some examples of the latter, if you give me your email address.

Melissa Belvadi

---
Melissa Belvadi
Emerging Technologies & Metadata Librarian
University of Prince Edward Island
mbelvadi at upei.ca
902-566-0581

2009/10/2 Amy Terlaga <terlaga at biblio.org>:
> Hi all—
>

> We’re just getting our feet wet with writing SQL scripts for our Evergreen
> test server, so I was wondering, and I apologize if this has already been
> asked . . .
>

> Is there some central repository, maybe a wiki or a website, which houses
> SQL queries that have already been written by other Evergreen sites?

http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib would be one good place to
establish such a repository, although "SQL scripts" is a very broad
category.

There are some scripts that we run in Conifer at
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/browser/conifer/trunk/tools/daily-scripts
for example.

What goals are you hoping to use these scripts to accomplish?