[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Holds on ILL records

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Sep 9 14:11:05 EDT 2009

Marlene,

This has not been an issue for PINES libraries. I don't think we would want to include the ability to place holds on the item unless there was a way to ensure no hold other than the initial one was placed. We would not have wanted staff to have the ability to place a hold on an ILL since its circulation is based on the lending library and someone would likely place the hold without noticing it was an ILL item. As far as I know, staff in PINES libraries call the patron when the ILL is ready for pickup. Many ILL staff go ahead and check the item out to the patron after they creat the pre-cat record since the due date is based on when it has to be returned to the lending library and not when the patron picks it up; placing a hold wouldn't be compatible with the workflow. Staff also go ahead and renew the item so that the patron cannot renew it. Some PINES libraries use a fake record, rather than the pre-cat, that has a circ modifier that doesn't allow for holds or renewals. The advantage of using the pre-cat is that it is deleted on return and no further action has to be taken by staff.

We have discussed changes to the way Evergreen handles ILLs but those changes are not currently on our development roadmap. I don't know that they have made it to any developmental phase. PINES libraries, in general, do not have very many ILLs so the numbers have not warranted emphasis on changing the functionality up to this point. The 51 PINES systems (counting the state library) borrowed 2,903 OCLC ILLs last fiscal year. The most borrowed by a single PINES system was 419. The 10 nonPINES libraries borrowed 15,506 items via OCLC in the same period. A single nonPINES library borrowed 6,444 items through OCLC. IntraPINES borrows for only the last quarter of the fiscal year totalled 146,248 (just the items borrowed, not loaned). The library with 419 OCLC borrows for the entire fiscal year, borrowed 11,159 items in only the last quarter through PINES loans. The numbers have not warranted us pushing for more changes in the software to this point (although staff actually processing the ILLs might disagree).

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128