[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Foundation survey

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Sat Sep 19 09:46:02 EDT 2009

IAJAV (I Am Just A Vendor), but I noticed that the Koha project is running a
survey for its proposed foundation. Perhaps since the Evergreen foundation
is in its early planning stages, the Evergreen community might consider
polling itself?

Possible questions might include:

* Priorities of the foundation -- such as fundraising, legal protection,
"neutral third-party voice," etc.
* Structure of the foundation (macro) -- 501c3 (most likely), or 501c6 (a
charitable structure someone mentioned)
* Structure of the foundation (micro) -- how the project's members should be
represented in the foundation--i.e., the structure of governance

Incidentally, one question that may be a little too late is "what state or
country should the foundation be incorporated in to best meet its goals,"
but it is still worth investigation to determine what incorporating in
Georgia will mean for the Evergreen community.

Those interested in reading up on nonprofit organizations may find these
sites useful:

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=178221,00.html

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nonprofits/index.html

I would offer my services to help design this survey, if the community were
interested in this path.

Respectfully,