[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Original cataloging: the produced TCN does not seem to follow MARC

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Sep 22 15:08:42 EDT 2009

The functionality for creating original records in Evergreen, at least for PINES libraries, is minimal. PINES libraries are encouraged to add original records to OCLC first and then import the record into PINES. We, at least by policy, allow only very specific kinds of items to be added to the PINES database without a corresponding OCLC record. These records tend to be for ephemeral items, kits created by libraries and other formats that they do not intend to loan via ILL. If a PINES library must create a record in PINES for something outside those parameters in order to get an item out quickly (or if no one on staff is trained to add items to OCLC), they are encouraged to follow up to get a more complete record in OCLC and overlay the PINES record with that record. As a result, there may not be full functionality to create all elements of a complete MARC record.

Elaine

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128