[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Issue with Closed Stacks and reference booksfor Reading Room and not lending

George Tuttle gtuttle at prlib.org
Sun Apr 4 20:17:16 EDT 2010

The item is circulating even though it is only circulating within the
building. Treating these closed stacks reference items like a reserve
collection would add a level of security and would improve the speed that
these items got returned to the shelves. The downside -- the patron would no
longer have the convenience of leaving reference items at the copier and on
a table. They would need to return them to the service desk. Of course, this
might require a policy change and might take time to implement.

OR

Make them circulating so they will be holdable but don’t check them out to
patron. Also attach an alert message: "Non-circulating/Reading Room Use
Only" in case a staff member does attempt to check it out to a patron. Would
that work?

What ILS did you use previously and how did it handle this situation?

George Tuttle
Piedmont Regional Library System