[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem with Renewing items from Patron Accounts

Joel Harbottle joel.r.harbottle at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 09:46:52 EDT 2010

Hi Cynthia,

I have actually come across this problem twice before. For us it was quite
strange, and is a bit hard to describe.

When the two patrons in particular complained (we allow 2 renewals when no
Holds on item). What had happened in our case, other patrons had placed a
copy-specific Hold on the item that was presently checked out. These other
patrons then for some reason cancelled their Hold a couple days later. The
Hold on the Copy which is checked out was removed from Evergreen properly.
Though my thinking is that when our patrons went to renew the item is that
our Circulation Policy in Evergreen hasn't picked up that the Hold was
cancelled a couple days earlier, and that there is no evidence of a Hold
currently on the Title when viewed in the Staff Client.

This problem I have only ever seen twice before and it was on both
Copy-Specific Hold Requests. We have never had this problem with Title level
Holds. Therefore in our library so we don't see this problem again, we have
disabled the Copy-Specific Hold function, and only allow Title level Hold
Requests via the OPAC.

If a patron requires a Copy-Specific Hold placed we request that they see a
member of staff at the Circulation Desk who is able to place the
Copy-Specific Hold for them via the Staff Client.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say. As I said it is difficult to
explain, especially when I don't have Evergreen sitting open in front me.

I hope this helps in some form, or maybe one of the Developers on the list
could help you further.

Kindest Regards,
Joel

Joel Harbottle