[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: Problem with Renewing items from Patron Accounts

Cynthia Williamson crwbookgirl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:19:01 EDT 2010

thanks Jason and Joel .... we only allow title holds in the OPAC and as far
as testing, we did re-create the problem with some of our test patrons and
yes - it is likely that staff use and re-use the same items for testing and
other issues could be at play.  I just tried renewing all of the items on my
account and could do it without a problem from the OPAC.  I also made a test
record, checked it out and could renew it without difficulty too...so that
still doesn't get to the jist of the problem does it??  We're sure it's
happening but cannot find the correlation unless it is truly that these
items were on hold and the holds were cancelled by the students in the
OPAC.....
We did notice a while ago that in order to fully cancel a hold from the
client we actually need to check the item in after the cancellation -
otherwise EG still seems to think the hold is still there - so we are now in
the habit of checking in all cancelled holds that we do from the client
...huge oversight not to have thought of this from the OPAC perspective
.... if it is folks cancelling holds from the OPAC, what on earth do what do
we do?  Do cancellations need to be finished off with some kind of chron job
that we're not running or is there some other setting we've missed???
Cynthia

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Jason Etheridge <jason at esilibrary.com>wrote:

> > Students have reported and we've tested and confirmed, that when they
> attempt to
> > renew a book from their account, they get the message that no renewals
> are
> > allowed because the book is needed for a hold.  When staff check, there
> are
> > no holds on the item(s) and they can do the renewal(s) from the client.
>
> How are you testing and confirming this?  For a pristine test (on a
> production system)
> I'd be tempted to make a "gobbleygook" bib record (and item) that no
> one would ever
> search for on purpose, and try an experiment against it, to help rule
> out other variables
> that may be influencing things.
>
> --
> Jason Etheridge
>  | VP, Tactical Development
>  | Equinox Software, Inc. / The Evergreen Experts
>  | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
>  | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
>  | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com
>
> Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference!
> It is being held April 20 - 23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and
> Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
> http://www.evergreen2010.org/

reform."
Mark Twain