[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] local install for testing

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Apr 14 11:37:04 EDT 2010

> Unfortunately, I prefer the free as in beer version, which provides a lot of the extras you'll probably want for your project, Lori.  Sometimes practicality forces us F/OSS end users to compromise a little bit :-)

I prefer companies that don't do that (dual-license) and I prefer
copy-left open source licenses which help prevent others from doing
that in the future (Software-as-a-Service loopholes notwithstanding).

Let's say free-beer Virtualbox has the ability to emulate parallel
ports and free-speech Virtualbox doesn't.  I could add the feature
with my copy of the free-speech version, however, how easy is it for
me to share it with others?  The community allows Oracle/Sun to
maintain both versions.  Free Inebriated Speech software, bleh.  Still
better than free beer alone though (since you can fork the code if the
current maintainers become insane or abusive), and I do use
Virtualbox, being practical. :-)

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference!
It is being held April 20 - 23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and
Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
http://www.evergreen2010.org/