[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** integration with Banner, DataTel or PeopleSoft

Cynthia Williamson crwbookgirl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 12:51:52 EDT 2010

Hi Lori - Our college uses Banner but Evergreen is not "talking" directly to
Banner.  Our Systems Librarian, Robert Soulliere,  just responded to a
question from somone the other day, I've copied his note to her below.   We
do have access to Banner so that we can go in and bar students at a time
when overdues/fines reach a critcial point.  I guess it would be nice to
have this happen automatically (I'm not sure if it's possible, Banner uses
an Oracle database) but we manage just fine the way we do things now.

Cheers, Cynthia
Mohawk College
Hamilton, ON

Here is how we import students into Evergreen at Mohawk College:

1) Our IT department produces a CSV export file of currently enrolled
students at Mohawk from an Oracle database.

2) We ftp the file to the server.

3) We run an SQL transaction script to import the data into our postgresql
database. The transaction script does the following:

               1. Creates a staging table  (A) with the data sent from IT.

               2.  creates a second staging table (B) with records from the
first staging table. Then the script deletes the records in B which already
exist in evergreen.

               3. Adds new fields to  table B  and reformats the data in
other fields to fit into the design and format of the evergreen tables.

               4. INSERTS the new records from B into the actor.usr table.

               5. INSERTS new records from B into actor.card table.

               6. UPDATES the actor.usr.card field to match the
actor.card.id for the users.

               7.  INSERTS records for new users into the actor.usr.address
table.

               8.  UPDATES addresses for all users.

               9.   UPDATES the actor.usr tables to link user to address.

This is probably not the most efficient way to accomplish this, so I expect
the professional database administrators to chime in here.

Other important notes:

1. We have a strict one card for one user so this process may not work for
organizations or consortiums which may have more than one card per user.
Input from users in a consortium environment might be useful here.

2. We do the patron updates a few times at the beginning of each term  not
on a daily basis. We try to time it so that we get them loaded after most
have registered. Importing students on a daily basis seems like overkill.

3. We run this manually, but this process could be automated to
automatically ftp the csv file to a specific location and then run the sql
script in a night time cron job.