[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** integration with Banner, DataTel or PeopleSoft

Duimovich, George George.Duimovich at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Apr 15 08:41:04 EDT 2010

Hello Lori,

We'll be doing something similar to Mohawk College with regards to interacting with our Peoplesoft system and find Evergreen offers us significantly more success than with our previous systems (III & Unicorn) for this type of integration. Our experience so far is EG is very transparent and open to integration better than any previous ILS we've maintained (Unicorn / Millennium). As the community grows, we can anticipate that the various integration experiences will be shared, often with working code to help you get that integration going faster and more cost effectively than with other systems. Furthermore, no funny "extras" to purchase. [1]

The Peoplesoft interaction will give us a much more complete patron database and set us up for the next step which would be to have 'single sign on' for Evergreen vs. local network login via LDAP authentication.

In regards to their concerns about integration with other systems, I hope they have similar concerns about non-open source options too, since many of us have moved to open source specificially because of the non-availabilty or only wonky options for system integration with the proprietary systems.

George
George Duimovich
NRCan Library / Bibliothèque de RNCan

[1] To cite two examples from from proprietary vendor X, they sell a "Backup API" and a "Patron API" add-on products to allow enterprise backup and student directory integration respectively. I'm all for paying for innovation, but both of these products fall into the suckers category IMHO. It's kind of like buying a car, but then having to buy the "drive to work package"  to permit you to pull out of your driveway, or the "car door installation package" for those basic safety feature "enhancements". These products should make people's blood boil because of their basic engineering: we won't give you the minimal documentation or the 1 to 5 lines of code required to interact with our system, so we create this "helpful" product just for you to do this very, very, very challenging task, etc.

________________________________

From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Lori Bowen Ayre
Sent: April 14, 2010 12:40
To: Evergreen Discussion Group; Koha list
Subject: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** integration with Banner,DataTel or PeopleSoft

I'm doing a presentation for community college library directors tomorrow about open source library system software and I recall that the last time I spoke to this group, they were concerned about whether Koha or Evergreen intregrated with the following systems:

1. Banner
2. DataTel
3. PeopleSoft

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

If you are in a community college setting running either Koha or Evergreen today, I'd love to know about you!

Lori Ayre