[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 13 or 10 ISBN search

Melissa Lowenberg mlowenberg at tnrdlib.bc.ca
Tue Apr 27 15:16:32 EDT 2010

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has already built something to search both the
10 & 13 digit ISBN in the 020 field?  We use BiblioFile for cataloguing
and it performs a quick calculation for ISBN searches.  Here's an example:

Valley of Death only has a 13 digit ISBN in the marc record.
Acquisitions staff scan the 10 digit off the book (the scanner reads it
as a 10). The correct marc record appears in the search result set
because the software performed the calculation to the 13.

It would save my staff a significant amount of time if we could
discontinue scanning both ISBNs. As we are in a consortium, we do not
know always know which ISBN another site may have used.

Thanks! It was great to put faces to names last week,
Melissa

Melissa Lowenberg, Supervisor of Support Services

TNRD Library System
#300-465 Victoria Street
Kamloops, BC V2C 2A9
Tel. 250-374-8866 Fax 250-374-8355