No subject

Fri Apr 16 10:15:54 EDT 2010

*

--90e6ba6e8df6a976ff049347eaf0

agreed - that it makes sense to have a default setting with fewer rather th=
an more permissions ... I wasn't necessarily arguing that out of the bo=
x a circulator should have more permissions=A0 - just that many libraries w=
ill have many different workflows & needs at the circ desk.=A0 Should m=
ore options be added to the out of the box settings?=A0 Not sure, I bet the=
re are really systems where a volunteer empties the drop box and the librar=
y might want that person to only be able to check in books.=A0 Don't th=
ink we could ever please everyone in this regard.=A0 The flexibility of the=
 system is both its joy and its frustration :)<br>
Thomas Berezansky <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tsbere at mvlc.org">=
style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8=
ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
I, personally, am a supporter of &quot;give each default group that is not =
labeled as being an &#39;administrator&#39; the minimal set of permissions =
it would logically need, and let each group installing/configuring the syst=
em add permissions to groups to suit their local needs&quot; type things.<b=
r>

In other words, by default, I think a circulator should be able to circulat=
e materials, and nothing more. That does not restrict any given installatio=
n from having more permissions on that group, however, to enable things lik=
e patron registration, but then it is an action taken to increase rights of=
 the group rather than needing to take action to decrease rights later.<br>

Things labeled as &#39;administrator&#39; groups, however, I think should b=
e given all rights they could possibly need for the scope of the account.<b=
r>
Thus, I do not support making it so that by default the circulator can regi=
ster patrons, but I support making it so that by default the local administ=
rator can register patrons and staff accounts (including promoting patron a=
ccounts to staff accounts).<br>

I also support documenting how to give circulators permission to register p=
atrons, however, for those libraries and/or consortia that want them to be =
able to do so.<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Thomas Berezansky<br>
Quoting Cynthia Williamson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:crwbookgirl at gmail.com" tar=
get=3D"_blank">crwbookgirl at gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br>
id rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;"><div>=
Agree that there has to be a circulator with permission to register patrons=
,<br>
in general the ability to do more than just check books in and out. =A0I&#3=
9;ve<br>
worked at a small public library where the person at the desk did it all,<b=
r>
incl. reference and readers&#39; advisory - that person needed to be able t=
o<br>
register new patrons. =A0At Mohawk, we upload most of our student records i=
nto<br>
EG from the college registration software but some of our programs do not<b=
r>
have regular start up schedules and students may be on our doorstep a day o=
r<br>
2 before a scheduled upload - in that case our circulators need to be able<=
br>
to register a student in EG. =A0 In our case, it is the waiving of fines &a=
mp;<br>
overriding of holds situations that we want to be able to move up the food<=
br>
chain to a circ supervisor. =A0Two circulator permission profiles work for =
us<br>
but in other libraries it might be 3 or 4 or more settings that would be<br=

needed.... =A0In other words, many different libraries=3Dmany different<br>
workflows.<br>
Regards, Cynthia<br>
On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Jason Etheridge &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jas=
on at esilibrary.com" target=3D"_blank">jason at esilibrary.com</a>&gt;wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; In particular this differentiation is common at libraries that have<br=

&gt; volunteer or work-study circ staff, or where patron membership require=
s<br>
&gt; formal criteria be met (like local residence or group affiliation), or=
where<br>
&gt; account initialization has non-negligible costs (e.g., expensive ID<br=

cards).<br>
Could make one or more sub-groups of Circulators, one with the<br>
permission needed for registering patrons.<br>
We should probably give the stock Local Admin group the ability to<br>
register any type of user.<br>
--<br>
Jason Etheridge<br>
=A0| VP, Tactical Development<br>
=A0| Equinox Software, Inc. / Your Library&#39;s Guide to Open Source<br>
=A0| phone: =A01-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)<br>
=A0| email: =A0<a href=3D"mailto:jason at esilibrary.com" target=3D"_blank">ja=
son at esilibrary.com</a><br>
=A0| web: =A0<a href=3D"http://www.esilibrary.com" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/www.esilibrary.com</a><br>
Happy 4th birthday, Evergreen!<br>
--<br>
* Doug=92s Law =93You can have information or<br>
you can have a life, but you can=92t have both.=94<br>