[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Library Catalog

Deanna Frazee dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us
Mon Aug 16 18:14:03 EDT 2010

I am sure that there is some free software out there for creating
barcodes, but they are pretty inexpensive and you may find it is just
easier to buy some from a vendor who will keep track of the numbers.  In
general, the first few digits of your barcode will identify your
institution, and the rest will identify the item.

As for the cataloging, what you are hoping to do is called copy
cataloging.  With 20,000 items in the collection, it will still take you
quite a bit of time since each item will need to be searched and
downloaded.  You can do this relatively inexpensively with EZcat from
Book Systems, or you could even do it with the z39.50 search in
Evergreen.  EZcat is extremely easy to use, so it really is worth your
time to look into it.  You can also use MARCedit, a free program that is
quite nice.  It just won't let you search multiple z39.50 sites at one
time like EZcat will, and searching sites separately can slow you down a
bit.

Please pardon me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you are not familiar
with cataloging.  If not, be warned that it is not something you want to
dive into with a collection of 20,000 items.  Whether you use the Dewey
Decimal System or the Library of Congress system for assigning call
numbers, it is something most of us studied while in grad school and
then spent a good deal of time learning how to do in a practical work
setting.  Not to mention that learning to modify a MARC record is not
all that easy.  You can hire someone like MARCIVE or even a good
cataloger who takes on that sort of work on the side and save yourself a
lot of stress and frustration.

Whatever route you take, good luck!

Deanna

Deanna Frazee