[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Printing to a USB receipt printer

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Tue Aug 24 11:38:13 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM, JohnRoy McVicker <jmcvicke at grpl.org> wrote:
> Am I going about this the wrong way?  Any tips of how to setup a USB receipt
> printer and use the Mozilla Print strategy?

Certain printers just don't work with Mozilla, and it changes
depending on the version.  One way to test is to try printing from
Firefox.

The 1.6 series of the Evergreen staff client is using xulrunner
1.9.0.17, which I think corresponds to the 3.0.3 version of Firefox.

The trunk/2.0-alpha series of Evergreen is using xulrunner 1.9.2.8,
which corresponds to Firefox 3.6.8.

If you find a certain version of Firefox that can print correctly to
your printer, then we could substitute the corresponding xulrunner (or
you could even run the staff client with Firefox instead of xulrunner)
and try that.  However, there were some changes made post EG 1.6 to
better support the 1.9.2 series of xulrunner, so if we try to use a
1.9.2 xulrunner with EG 1.6, there may be side-effects, but I believe
they're mostly cosmetic.

If you could, would you annotate this ticket
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/491537 with your specific
details?  If need be, we can file a bug with Mozilla (or see if there
is an existing bug report) and see if they can fix things to work with
the printer in question.

Incidentally, in trunk/2.0 there's a 3rd print option which allows you
to specify an arbitrary external command and feed it a text and/or
html file.

--
Jason Etheridge