[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Academic Reserves

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 02:02:02 EST 2010

Hi Art,

Syrup is being positioned to provide services in response to a fluid
> copyright  situation in Canada (Michael Geist has a good summary of one of
> the biggest issues at <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5250/125/>
> and, incidentally, appeared before the legislative committee dealing with
> the new copyright bill today). There are
> svn instructions at <
> http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/wiki/SyrupReserves/> and you can
> kick the tires a bit here <http://showcase.uwindsor.ca/syrup/>. Otherwise,
> our library is using bookbags for reserves in production and it works out
> fine for our needs, we don't have a large set of reserves materials at this
> point. An implication of the new copyright situation is that much more of
> the campus' course materials would be tracked by the library, and we would
> use  syrup for this.
>
> I haven't been following the Syrup conversation. Is it a way to manage
journal articles, scanned book chapters, and other electronic stuff by
course, where only the students in that course have access to those
materials? That's what I gather from reading
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS-Contrib/wiki/SyrupReserves and
http://www.reservesdirect.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Because our ILS doesn't have any e-reserve functionality we've talked about
using Moodle for this as the relationship for instructor - course - students
already exists.

> Robin Isard at Algoma has been working on enhancing the bookbag mechanism
> within Evergreen specifically for reserves and this will add to the options
> as well. Robin's been pulled into other projects, a common theme for all of
> us, but I think he hopes to get his enhancements in place before the end of
> the year. Bookbags are a good temporary measure if nothing else, our
> previous system was arguably not as flexible for reserves as what bookbags
> offer out of the box so we haven't had too many transition issues.

Exciting! I'll keep my ears open.

Cheers,
Tara