[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Aged Circulation?

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Fri Dec 3 11:14:11 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Martha Driscoll <driscoll at noblenet.org> wrote:
> If the aged_circulation table preserved the user statistical category and
> the copy statistical category then you would be less likely to keep the
> transactions over time and would therefore increase patron privacy.

My only concern here would be false sense of security.  For systems
that keep everything, at least they know they're keeping everything.
Aged circulations tend to be presented as feature where the "link"
between patrons and circulations are broken, but that link can be more
than just an id field.

> It's true that staff could put identifiable information in a free-text stat cat, but I don't think that would be the norm.

I do tend to focus on edge cases.  Sometimes a good thing, sometimes not. :-)

Just something to be cognizant of when designing the feature (for
example, we probably want to allow folks to designate whether certain
stat cats should be preserved or not).

--
Jason Etheridge