[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] a few questions

Joy Wandrey jwandrey at washingtonkylibrary.org
Mon Dec 6 15:33:43 EST 2010

Hi all,
I'm a bit frustrated and am hoping someone with more experience can help me
out. I am the director of a small, rural public Library, and we went with
Evergreen this past spring. However, we are still having a panoply of issues
that don't seem to get any better. I have yet another open ticket for
multiple issues.
I'm not trying to complain, but I think I need some basic information that I
don't seem to be able to find anywhere else.
Can Evergreen be expected to function well in an "intranet-only" situation?
We are in a place where we are regularly (every day) maxing out our
available bandwidth, which crashes Evergreen in its currently
internet-dependent state. This is frustrating enough in itself, but we are
also losing transactions, again on an every-day basis, a fair number of them
in fact. We got rid of our legacy system for just this issue, now we're
wishing we had kept it, sort of.
We are currently working on a solution to the lack of bandwidth, but are at
the max for our local DSL service, and cable is half that speed in our area.
We're awaiting a price on the I2 education internet infrastructure. We'll
see how that goes.
In the meantime, I really need to know if it's possible for our in-house
machines to talk to our in-house servers without using the internet? and can
Evergreen be set up to do this all the time, in the interest of saving my
sanity, our Linux guy's sanity, and much bandwidth.
We're also having trouble getting our DVD's to check out for only one week.
We've been through them, our support company has been through them, and no
matter what changes we make to them, or how many times we make the changes,
they still come up where some will check out for two weeks and some will
check out for the correct one week.
We also have a laptop that we take out on our bookmobile, and it cannot now
get the server to test ok, so it's not working with Evergreen at the moment
either.
oh yeah, and the items in the import queue don't always make the transition
into the catalog, and then there are the items we have in hand, freshly
cataloged, that do not show up in the catalog.
At this point neither my staff nor I have any trust in the state of our
catalog or the system as a whole.
I realize that some things are networking issues, and I have copied our
linux guy on those, but we've been working on the same problems since
March.

At this point I feel like going home and having a stiff drink!

I would truly appreciate any information anyone has on any of these issues.
I do have a ticket open for all of the above with our support company.
thanks,
Joy

--
Joy Wandrey
Director
jwandrey at washingtonkylibrary.org
help at washingtonkylibrary.org

Disclaimer: Inclusion of information in an e-mail discussion list message
should not be construed as an endorsement by the Washington County Public
Library. Opinions or points of view expressed in an e-mail discussion list
message are those of the contributor and do not necessarily reflect those of
the Washington County Public Library. This message is intended only for
those to whom it is addressed, if you have received this message in error
please delete it immediately.