[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Governance Committee Report for Community IRC meeting (2010-12-21)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Dec 21 13:22:48 EST 2010

On behalf of the Governance Committee (thanks to Amy Terlaga for
nominating me to do this and paying the price by vetting my rough
draft), I'm submitting the following report on our progress since the
last Community IRC meeting:

"""
The Governance Committee has been in contact with the Software Freedom
Conservancy about the proposed membership agreement, and Bradley Kuhn
of the Conservancy has been engaged in discussions on the Evergreen
governance mailing list. The major differences from the first draft that
we submitted to the Conservancy are:

  * Rather than three representatives between the Evergreen project and the
Conservancy, the Conservancy strongly prefers a single liaison to avoid
communication overhead. The Governance Committee generally approved this
change.

  * Now that we understand how the Conservancy draws its percentage of
donations, and there is the likelihood that conference funds and pooled
development funds will flow through the Conservancy account, we're
leaning towards offering 5% of project funds rather than 10%. The
Conference Planning Committee will budget accordingly.

  * The wording of the agreement seems close to completion; Bradley Kuhn
from the Conservancy will attend the next governance meeting (in
January) to discuss any remaining concerns and hopefully come to an
agreement. One of the last concerns is describing how the Evergreen
Governance Committee (in the agreement referred to as the Evergreen
Oversight Board) is replaced/changed/elected, but a suggested rewording
from Sylvia Watson (Indiana) should enable us to bootstrap that process.

Minutes of the last Governance Committee meetings are available from:
  * (2010-11-16) http://rscel.evergreen-ils.org/node/1539
  * (2010-12-14) http://rscel.evergreen-ils.org/node/1540
"""