[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Authority and Holding Records in Evergreen 1.4 & 1.6

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Dec 23 17:54:53 EST 2010

Hi Dmitri:

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 05:29:36PM +0400, Dimitri Gogelia wrote:
> I need to enter in these versions authority and holdings records.
> Unfortunately I did not find an interface for data entry, as well as ways to
>  enter this data into Evergrine.
>
> Please tell me how to do this?

Holdings (MFHD):

Evergreen 1.4 does not support holdings records (by which I think you
mean "MARC Format for Holdings Data" aka MFHD). In Evergreen 1.6, they
are supported in an unusual place: once you add a bibliographic record,
you search for the record in the Catalog. A button will show up on the
right-hand side of the screen, below the "Record Summary" table, that
says "Add MFHD Record". When you click on that, a MARC editor window
will open up and enable you to enter raw MFHD data.

See
http://biblio.laurentian.ca/tickets/conifer/wiki/cataloguingEditingSerials
for some documentation I wrote up ages ago for our library on MFHD.

Note that in 2.0, there are actually 3 different interfaces for editing
serial holdings, using two different server-side approaches to storing
the data (raw MFHD, and the new approach that supports predictions and
receiving and binding).

Authorities:

In Evergreen 1.4, you have to load authority records from the command
line using the marc2are.pl script in Open-ILS/src/extras/import (and
then pipe the data through direct_ingest.pl and parallel_pg_loader.pl
similar to the bibliographic record import process described at
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecords#exampleimporting_the_project_gutenberg_records).

In Evergreen 1.6 (not sure if it was 1.6.0.x or 1.6.1.x in which it was
introduced), in addition to the command line loading approach, you can
use the MARC Batch Import/Export tool available from the staff client
Cataloging menu. Select "Record Type" = "Authority records", create a
new upload queue, select your file of records (batches of 5000 or less
are what I would recommend), and then the records will be imported.

In 2.0, you can use the MARC Batch Import/Export tool to import bulk
sets of records, or you can create records "on the fly" inside of a
bibliographic record by right-clicking on a controllable field (for
example, a 100 field), then selecting "Create and Edit..." or "Create
immediately" from the authority context menu. You can use the "Manage
authorities" interface under the Cataloguing menu to search for, edit,
delete, and merge authority records. And in 2.0, if a bibliographic
field is controlled by an authority record (identified by a $0
subfield), then when you update the authority record, the bibliographic
records are updated correspondingly.