[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Logging in via the staff client for the first time

morosophe at juno.com morosophe at juno.com
Sat Feb 13 00:14:00 EST 2010

My husband, a wonderfully generous and patient man, got the 1.4.0.7 version of Evergreen set up on a local box for me to use for entering church library records.  He used the doku_wiki and completed all the steps for 1.4.0.6, including testing everything successfully.  Unfortunately, when I tried to log in using the 1.4.0.6 staff client and what I understand to be the "default" login (admin, password open-ils), I got this message:

Network or server failure.  Please check your Internet connection to undefined and choose Retry Network.  If you need to enter Offline Mode, choose Ignore Errors in this and subsequent dialogs.  If you believe this error is due to a bug in Evergreen and not network problems, please contact your help desk or friendly Evergreen administrators, and give them this information:
method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init
params=["admin"]
THROWN:
Network Failure: status = 404
service=open-ils.auth&method=open-ils.auth.authenticate.init&param=%22admin%22
STATUS:
404

After playing around with it for a while, my husband upgraded the Evergreen server (and staff client) to 1.4.0.7 in the hopes that it would help, but we still get the identical message.

Can anyone tell us what we're doing wrong?  Is there something that is supposed to be initialized?  My husband checked the Apache log files, and it's registering the attempts to connect, so it isn't actually the network.  (Well, plus we can SSH into the box no problem.)

Please help!  We've banged our head against this problem for *hours* tonight, and are getting really frustrated.

Thanks!

--Hannah Taylor