[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Migrating member created bib records

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Jan 15 13:59:19 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 12:25 -0500, Janet Schrader wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> What are the criteria for bib records to be migrated? What fields are required? Is there documentation on this that you could send me?
>
> If a record has MARC fields for ISBN, author, title, imprint would that be sufficient? We can globally update non-MARC records to change the fields to MARC tags.

Hi Janet:

I have no experience with III, but in general, if you have that data in
a reasonably well-defined format, it wouldn't be too difficult for
someone to go through and generate MARC records from non-MARC records
using a script built on something like MARC::Record / MARC::File::XML
(Perl), File_MARC (PHP), pymarc (Python), or the like, mapping title to
245a, author to 100a, ISBN to 022a, and imprint to 260a. You could get
fancier and try to break it up into subfields if you have the
appropriate cues in the data.

They won't be great MARC records, because you'll have to go with
reasonable defaults for things like fixed fields, but they will be
comparable to what you have now for those records. And someone could
always come along later and use copy-cataloging via z39.50 to overlay
more complete records once you're up and running.

Dan