[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Catalog questions : limiters and wildcards

Elizabeth Thomsen et at noblenet.org
Tue Jan 26 16:11:29 EST 2010

We're in the process of setting up a test catalog, and have a couple of
questions about the advanced search screen and the use of limiters.

We notice that the catalog lets you limit a search to audiobooks and
nonfiction, which is a perfectly logical search, but it returns 0 hits.
  This looks like the system is saying the library doesn't own any
nonfiction audiobooks about Italy (or whatever) rather than that
audiobooks records are not indexed with this limiter.  Does anyone have
their data indexed to include fiction/nonfiction for audiobooks?  And
does anyone have their Advance Search screen set up so that the user
can't choose invalid combinations of limiters (if the user clicks on
Audiobooks, the Fiction/Nonfiction options wouldn't appear)?

The other thing we're interested in is having users be able to do a
search on a combination of limiters with no search term, and get a set
of results.  For example, I might want to see all the Braille books or
all the Russian language children's videorecordings.  Does anyone have a
way to do that?

Thanks in advance!

--
Elizabeth Thomsen, Member Services Manager
NOBLE: North of Boston Library Exchange
E-mail: et at noblenet.org