[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Spine Label Printers?

OdonLibrarian at aol.com OdonLibrarian at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 15:22:24 EST 2010

I have templates for OpenOffice.org Calc for printing both  material
barcodes and spine labels on an ordinary printer.  Because we  migrated from
Winnebago and had leftover spine label stock (6X5 on 8 1/2X11  sheets), that's
the format I chose for now.  Another library in Indiana has  an Excel template
for a 5X6 layout (but without the links I use to avoid  retyping data
already in Evergreen).

The procedure is fairly simple:  Dump the items needing labels into a  copy
bucket, pick them up on the clipboard as CSV, and paste into the first page
 of the spreadsheet.  The second page of the spreadsheet links to the data
on the first sheet and formats it.  I generally try to do enough at a time
to avoid running a sheet of 30 labels through the laser printer more than
twice but that's a fairly simple workflow issue.

Having developed a preference for OpenOffice.org Calc, I haven't tried  the
templates with Excel but compatibility is generally excellent.   I'll be
glad to share my template with anyone who is interested.  It would  take some
time and effort to reformat for a different spine label  layout but would be
time well invested and save the cost of a non-standard  printer.

Marsha

Marsha Lynn
Director
Odon Winkelpleck Public  Library
812-636-4949
OdonLibrarian at aol.com

In a message dated 1/21/2010 11:46:57 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,