[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] congrats Natural Resources Canada

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Tue Jan 26 18:49:39 EST 2010

On Jan 26, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Duimovich, George wrote:

> IMHO, the big challenges in the federal system relates to the
> relative sense of disempowerment that many libraries seem to have
> vis a vis their technology decision-making, as well as the relative
> lack of support offered to those who see business justification for
> using open source.

Obviously not just federal libraries, this is common.

>   Add to that the usual faulty pre-suppositions about "risk" and
> other "fear factors"

The article I wrote in Library Journal a while ago was with the motive
of trying to get people not to be irrationally afraid of the risk of
open source -- especially when the open source is supported by a
reputable support vendor who you trust, it's no more risky (and in
some ways less) than a proprietary solution. Speaking to the converted
here, but maybe my article will be helpful to some in showing to
administrators/colleagues/decision makers.  http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6611591.html