[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RSCEL and Evergreen-ils.org and RSCEL Update

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Jul 6 14:02:43 EDT 2010

In an effort to ensure that RSCEL activities build on community efforts
rather than dissipate those efforts, RSCEL has joined forces with the
official Evergreen project page (evergreen-ils.org).  RSCEL is now a
subdomain of the official Evergreen pages (rscel.evergreen-ils.org). This
simple merge of DNS records is just a first step toward bringing all things
Evergreen into closer alignment. Look for more changes to the two websites
as we explore more ways to make it easier for everyone to find what they
need.

If you have ideas about what else could be done to make it easier to find
what you need or if you are a information architecture god or goddess,
please let us know because we want you on the Evergreen Communications
Committee <http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=communications>.
 That's the group who's job it is to sort out what we have ('we' being the
Evergreen Community), what we don't have, and where it should all live so we
can find it more easily.

And speaking of what we don't have...one thing we RSCELs have heard loud and
clear is the need for an Evergreen directory:  a way for people find others
involved in an Evergreen project so they can reach out and make a
connection.  Well, the Communications Committee is working on developing
just such a directory so look for something about that soon.

The RSCEL team is also aware of the need for better information about
development efforts underway (or which you WISH were underway).  Toward that
end, we will very soon have a way for everyone to see where at least one big
development effort is, namely the KCLS project.  Each KCLS requirement (from
their original requirements will be given a status so you know whether it is
actively in development or not).  Hopefully, this will help everyone get a
better handle on what's already in the works so they can focus on other
areas (or drop a note to KCLS if you have an active interest in that
feature).  We'll also be making a RSCEL Demo available which will be a copy
of the in-development version of Evergreen resulting from the KCLS project
(referred to by KCLS/RSCEL as 2.0 since the developers have indicated most
of these developments will end up in Evergreen 2.0).  Stay tuned for both of
those additions to the rscel.evergreen-ils.org website soon!

The RSCEL team is also working on way to make it easy for everyone to share
information about their development needs/desire/projects, tentatively
referred to as the Enhancement Tracker...more info on that as we get closer
to having something to share.

Lori Ayre for the RSCEL Gang

P.S. Everyone is welcome to become a RSCEL, all you have to do is register
at rscel.evergreen-ils.org and participate in whatever way works for you.