[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: ***SPAM*** Debian partition configuration question

Benjamin Shum bshum at biblio.org
Mon Jul 12 12:49:56 EDT 2010

Hi Yamil,

I'm not an expert on RAID, but I can tell you what we know from our experiences thus far.

Me personally, when I was brand new working with Linux, I went with the default options of Debian to get going and seeing what Evergreen could do.

Long-term though, we've encountered some difficulty dealing with our hardware RAID (which was actually just a sort of fakeRAID) and Debian recognizing it properly.  For our test systems, I usually just use a single drive with the default single partition option.  As I understand it, a good reason to use multiple partitions is to break up the various parts onto different drives for space/backup control options.  You could also skip the hardware RAID and go with Linux software RAID1 option too and use Debian to mirror your drives.

Maybe someone else might have more insight for you; we're in the process of reviewing how specific hardware RAID models will work or not work with Debian operating systems as we plan future hardware.  I'd be curious to hear what you discover with your particular hardware RAID, could you tell us which one you're using in your server?

Good luck!

-- Ben

On Jul 13, 2010, at 12:17 AM, Yamil Suarez wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is a question geared for system administrators running Evergreen, though I am not sure if this is the list I should use.
>
> My library is migrating to Evergreen this month and I am about to set up a brand new server to house Evergreen. The server has two 300 Gig hard drives with hardware based RAID 1 and 8 Gigs of RAM.
>
> My questions are about Debian partition configurations based on the choices given to me by the Debian installer.
>
> 1) When I install Debian on the new server should I use logical volume management (LVM)
>
> 2) Should I set up...
>
> 	A) a single partition for the single logical (RAID 1) drive
>
> 	or
>
> 	B) a separate "/home" partition
>
> 	or
>
> 	C) separate partitions for "/home" , "/usr" , "/var" , "/tmp"
>

> Thank you in advance for your help,
> Yamil

Benjamin Shum
Open Source Software Coordinator