[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen on BSD (was: Evergreen Server Question)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Thu Jul 22 10:23:24 EDT 2010

On 22 July 2010 09:36, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
> Quoting Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net>:
>
>> On 22 July 2010 09:19, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> If someone wants to throw $1,000 at me, I'll set up a server at home to
>>> work
>>> on getting Evergreen and associated bits and pieces to work on FreeBSD.
>>
>> Heh. FreeBSD runs nicely in a virtual image; that's where I was doing
>> my preliminary experiments about a year ago. You'll get no cash from
>> me :)
>>

> I run FreeBSD on my "server" at home already. However, that machine is
> rather underpowered (an 8-year-old workstation). It is already busy enough
> with email and a few other duties. I'd need the money to get a machine that
> is worthy for testing Evergreen and that's all it would be used for.--I'm
> not fond of virtual images myself.

Or perhaps we could get a pool of development and testing hardware in
place for the entire community - not only for *BSD porting, but for
testing different distributions, different versions of distributions,
setting performance benchmarks under different hardware and software
configurations (like bulk loading with in-db ingest)... ah, the
possibilities. The hardware is probably the easy part, the hard part
is finding people capable and willing to actually do said testing and
development.

> *Anyone*, of course, is a wider audience than just Dan Scott. :)

Have you seen me recently? I'm getting pretty wide... need to spend
more time on the mountain bike.

> Anyway, I was half-joking about the money. I *might* get around to working
> on FreeBSD compatibility, but if someone really wants it to happen, then a
> little inducement helps. :)

Fair enough! I'd be happy to see *BSD compatibility, however it happens.