[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen on BSD (was: Evergreen Server Question)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 10:47:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net> wrote:
> On 22 July 2010 09:36, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlc.org> wrote:
>> Quoting Dan Scott <dan at coffeecode.net>:

>>> Heh. FreeBSD runs nicely in a virtual image; that's where I was doing
>>> my preliminary experiments about a year ago. You'll get no cash from
>>> me :)
>>>

>> I run FreeBSD on my "server" at home already. However, that machine is
>> rather underpowered (an 8-year-old workstation). It is already busy enough
>> with email and a few other duties. I'd need the money to get a machine that
>> is worthy for testing Evergreen and that's all it would be used for.--I'm
>> not fond of virtual images myself.
>
> Or perhaps we could get a pool of development and testing hardware in
> place for the entire community - not only for *BSD porting, but for
> testing different distributions, different versions of distributions,
> setting performance benchmarks under different hardware and software
> configurations (like bulk loading with in-db ingest)... ah, the
> possibilities. The hardware is probably the easy part, the hard part
> is finding people capable and willing to actually do said testing and
> development.

If there's interest with moving on that, ESI would be happy to supply
the community with a VM running a BSD.  We have testing.esilibrary.com
available for the community right now, though it's linux (Ubunutu
10.4, to be exact), but we didn't get any response after setting that
up.  We can either repurpose that by installing a BSD, or add a new
one.

--
Mike Rylander