[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** ***SPAM*** Re: Evergreen and CollectionHQ

Don Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:35:07 EDT 2010

I am not familiar with CollectionHQ but, just from the name, it sounds like it may do some of the things that the Freeware product "JTacq" can do in the areas of collection development, purchasing, and cataloging. I am friends with the developer Jim Taylor and do consulting work for him on this product. At Asbury Seminary we have used JTacq for more than 7 years and over that time it has saved us countless hours of labor and many thousands of dollars by identifying the cheapest vendor to use when making a purchase. Here are some of its many features.

Electronic records are first gathered from every imaginable source, including: vendor supplied records, spreadsheets, author/title/subject/numerical/publisher searches, and from a patron request interface. It can even import from FirstSearch.

Once a file of records is in JTacq it can then do an electronic search of your local database to see what titles the library already has. When JTacq finds an exact match it will include in the display, the number of copies, their status, and the number of checkouts.

Then a broadcast search of all the vendors you use can be done. JTacq can obtain pricing and availability data from virtually any vendor including Amazon, B&T, YBP, B&N, Ingram, etc. It will even search for used book vendors such as Amazon 3rd Party, ABEBooks, and Alibris.

Once the pricing and availability information is obtained you may want to send the titles to a website where designated selectors can choose which titles to order. When they have made their choices, the information is then downloaded back into JTacq.

Once the decision has been made about which books to order, JTacq can place the orders directly into the shopping carts of Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and ABEBooks. Or, if you prefer, the titles can be exported in a file to use in your Acquisitions module.

JTacq also has the ability to create temporary MARC records from the data it has collected, or you can actually pull the permanent OCLC record through its Z39.50 feature. It also has the ability to create 9XX fields that can be used to generate item records and 9XX fields that contain order data which can be used to populate purchase orders. It also has the ability to delete junk tags or add tags to the MARC records with one push of the button.

JTacq is a mature product, that is absolutely FREE. It will save you amazing amounts of time and money, if you are willing to take the time to explore its many rich features. I urge you to contact Jim at jtaylor at jtdata.com for a demo. You'll be glad you did!

Don

Don Butterworth
Faculty Associate / Librarian III
B.L. Fisher Library