[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Costs/Staff training/testing

Marla Ehlers mehlers at grpl.org
Wed Jun 16 09:54:24 EDT 2010

Grand Rapids Public Library made all of it's training materials
available via the Michigan Evergreen wiki when we went live:
http://mlc.lib.mi.us/wiki/index.php/Grand_Rapids_Public_Library_Training_Documents
These are actually more a users manual that we used as written support
for formal training classes.  There's much more in them than can be
covered in the training time we had, but they serve as a reference and,
for those able to train themselves by reading the manual, more in-depth
training docs.

If you're interested in what classes we held and what we actually
covered in those classes, look at
http://mlc.lib.mi.us/wiki/index.php/Class_Contents  Staff were required
to attend certain classes depending on their responsibilities and we
spent roughly 6 weeks in training to get everyone through the classes
they needed, holding 35 classes total for roughly 400 (no, our staff
isn't that large, they just had to take multiple classes).  This was our
third migration to a new system in just the years I had been with GRPL
and we knew how important formal training that tapped all the various
learning styles would be to the success of our project, especially with
the (mis)perception of greater riskiness to the migration, given
Evergreen's open source nature and all.

As indicated on the index for them, these docs relied heavily on those
created before them (the Evergreen community to the rescue once again!)
and on our specific situation.  I'm afraid they haven't been updated
since we went live 2 years ago, though we have a set internal to us that
gets updated regularly as we learn more and upgrade the system.  This
internal manual also includes exercises at the end of most sections,
something that didn't get carried over into the MCLS set.

Last I knew, the training barcodes still worked, if you have access to
the Michigan Evergreen test server . . .

Marla