[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ***SPAM*** Re: generic training server with predictable data

Don Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Tue Jun 22 08:23:38 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

My name is Don Butterworth. I am the Head of Technical Services at Asbury Theological Seminary and have been lurking on this list for the last couple of months. Late last year our library migrated from Horizon to Symphony. After having worked with the cataloging and acquisitions modules for over six months, it is my personal opinion that our department's efficiency has been reduced by at least 20%. Because of that, if I can convince the "powers that be," I hope to set up an Evergreen test database here on campus, so that we can get a feel for the software, workflow, and level of IT involvement. Then, when the Acquisitions module is released in 2.0, thoroughly test it to see if it is a viable alternative to Symphony.

I have files of OCLC MARC records, for all of last year's acquisitions, which I plan to import as our test database; about 10,000 records. If it is legal, I believe I can convince our administration to contribute them to an RSCEL training server, if that would be helpful.

Don

Don Butterworth
Faculty Associate / Librarian III
B.L. Fisher Library
Asbury Theological Seminary
don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
(859) 858-2227

The opinions expressed are strictly my own and should not be considered as any official opinion, endorsement or statement by Asbury Theological Seminary.