[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Authentication

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Mar 30 13:30:46 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 13:21 -0400, Jason Etheridge wrote:
> > Prototype mismatch: sub main::_LONG_MAX__() vs none at
> > /usr/lib/perl/5.10/_h2ph_pre.ph line 291.
>
> James,
>
> I believe this is harmless.  Are you using Ubuntu Intrepid?
>
> See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/perl/+bug/303765

The scary output is mostly harmless, yes - but it's probably a bad idea
to be using Ubuntu Intrepid for anything other than a quick test server,
given that it's not a Long Term Support release of Ubuntu - and I
suspect most Evergreen developers stopped doing any testing or
development with Ubuntu Intrepid shortly after Ubuntu Karmic was
released.

We add entries in the Makefile.install files for short-term support
releases of Ubuntu to support testing & flushing out bugs early, but if
you're going to set up a production server, Debian 5 (Lenny) would
probably qualify the community recommended distribution version at this
point, based on the broadest base of adoption amongst Evergreen
libraries. Anything else is likely to be subject to corner cases due to
different versions of installed dependencies. (Of course, this is a gut
feel; it might make sense to add Linux distribution & version notes to
our list of Evergreen libraries to put some solid data behind that).

Which suggests that we should probably have stronger wording about
recommended distributions on the Evergreen and OpenSRF install pages, to
prevent people from going off the beaten path (or at least warning them
that they're going off the beaten path so that they know what they're
getting into!)